Monday, January 20, 2014

Giorgio Armani Beauty Effetto Nudo Collection for Spring 2014

I'll tell you about my last few days before I show you Giorgio Armani Beauty's gorgeous new spring collection. On Friday,  Dominion Virginia Power went to my mother's house because her power went off late morning. They found a line that had to be replaced and did so. Unfortunately, in fixing it, they sent a power surge through every electrical device in her house: 240 volts through the 120 line!

We couldn't figure out what was wrong - she had lights, but little else - so I got the power company back late Friday night, and they continued to claim that it was something in Mom's house, denying it could have been s surge. Needless to say, the electrician I found online Friday night showed up at 9:00 am Saturday, and the surge was definitively diagnosed. The surge fried her furnace (yes she slept with no heat overnight in very cold temperatures - she wouldn't leave), FIOS, microwave oven, washing machine, clock radio, all telephones, and a few other things like her clock radio. It has been a time-consuming and costly few days getting in repairmen or buying new appliances. A blown transformer or circuit board basically melts you nice electronics. I had a surge protector put on her house, but I understand they can't really prevent these kinds of powerful surges.

I got the Armani photos and press release right before all that happened, and I have not had a second to put them up. My apologies. I wanted you to see them right away. I think the carefully edited collection is superb. My pieces are ordered and on the way.

The Giorgio Armani Privé Fall Winter 2013/2014 Paris show marked the return of a central theme in the Maestro's work: Nude. More than just a shade, the make-up look interpreted by Linda Cantello for "Nudo" is an evanescent color philosophy that goes back to 30's elegance with a touch of Hollywood glamour. After introducing it in fashion and cosmetics, Giorgio Armani has not innovated with a "peau d’ange" nude - translucent, luminous, feminine, and glamorous, reinvented in modern romanticism.

Effetto Nudo unveils this neo-nude by Armani, shimmering with elusive shades. A subtle balance of undefinable tones between shade and light, cold and warm.

The Belladonna Highlighter Palette in Champagne ($88) caught my eye immediately. The emblematic palette is an unprecedented, universal illuminating powder. Its shade and texture deliver pure, nude, virtually bare light, for an evanescent "peau d’ange" effect of infinite finesse. The powder features micropearl technology, printed in an ultra-fine flower pattern. The new gel-based formula is prepared using a cold-cast technique and melds immediately with its case, for a feel between powder and cream. It offers a texture that is both dense and incredibly light. The pattern designed in the powder is inspired by a flower with light, subtle petals, with a romantic, feminine, enigmatic tulle fabric. The powder is meant to be applied to the face and décolleté or used as an eyeshadow. Linda Cantello used it in the "Nudo" show to halo the eyes with soft, velvety light. Most of my favorite highlighters are Armani, so I can't wait to use this one.

I love Fluid Sheer, so the new Fluid Sheer Enhancing Fluid (#13, $62), a Giorgio Armani Beauty innovation, excited me. Fluid Sheer Radiant Pigment, enriched with kaleidoscopic pearls, is used to enhance the complexion on the cheekbones or to blend with foundation for a warmed and radiant complexion or as an eyeshadow primer. The color effect travels from pink to gold depending on the angle of the light, for a sculpting, luminous effect. The new shade is translucent and universal, bringing to the complexion a soft, delicately pink radiance and a healthy glow.

Like the black feather necklace seen at the Armani Privé show, Smooth Silk Eye Pencils ($34) contrast to magnify the Effetto Nudo look. The navy blue (#1), chestnut (#10) and brown (#11) accentuate the nudo effect by playing with contrasts. Their lines structure this evanescent makeup look.

For your lips, Flash Lacquer (#314, #514, #614, $30) and Rouge d'Armani Sheers (same numbers as above - go figure, $34) turn nude into light - reinvented for a sheer, glossy mouth. The lips are illuminated into pink, coral, and plum shades in a crystal nude sensation with Flash Lacquer or a slightly pearly effect with Rouge d’Armani Sheers.

"The purest looks are actually the most difficult to achieve because they are very subtle, built with the right colors and the right textures, very simply," said Linda Cantello International Makeup Artist with Giorgio Armani. Given my first look, I'd have to agree. I placed my order and hope it arrives quickly so I can show you this beautiful collection.

You can see this beautiful collection at the Giorgio Armani Beauty Web site.  That's where I ordered my pieces - probably the first of two orders!

Photos courtesy of Giorgio Armani Beauty

34 comments:

A Delicate Rosie Beauty said...

I'm so happy that your back! Although I'm sorry to hear about the power surge. Are they going to cover the cost of the new appliances? The highlight palette is beautiful as is the fluid sheer. I can't wait to see swatches!

Nemo said...

Welcome back! How is Charlie?

Charlestongirl said...

Nemo, Charlie is sitting on my lap as I write. He's a happy boy.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Delicate Rosie!

Sara said...

Hi CG glad to see you are back! Sorry to hear about the power surge. Can't wait to see your new things! -Sara

Rose said...

Welcome back CG! Sorry to hear the power surge though, please update whether they are going to pay for all costs, XX

Anonymous said...

Yay, so pleased you're back! Sorry about the mishap at your Mom's...will it ever end. Hope the utility company takes responsibility. Can't wait to see swatches, the collection sounds absolutely dreamy, so feminine. Looking forward to more, Denise at aeiokid at gmail dot com.

Eileen said...

Well, well, what a pleasant surprise! It's good to see you back and with Armani no less. I hope you're feeling more rested and relaxed and--your mom's power surge aside--like life's back on track once again :-) We've all missed you and will be looking forward to your take on the Effetto Nudo collection. Give Charlie a cuddle for me :-)

Unknown said...

Hi! I just love your blog! So helpful! Thank you for that! Kind of a off topic question but do you know if any of the stores in Tysons carry the Givenchy beauty line? I'm trying to hunt down the spring collection ;) Thank you for the help! Hope the snow storm misses you today! ~Alicia

Anonymous said...

I love reading you again! I'm glad everything is fixed or repaired and you and your mum are ok!

wendy said...

hi charleston girl!! it seems like you've been away forever!! i have missed you lots!! i just love that picture of the armani model. in my opinion, the prettiest and best so far. i would say clarins' image is the second best, to me. could you please tell me if you're planning to use this on your eyes, like the models? i'm not sure i could carry off that look. i am sure that i would love that pinky/nude lip color and matching gloss though. as much as i love coral, the new lippies that are coming out are a little past my comfort zone, too bright for me. but, the "coral" in this collection could prove to me very nice! xxxxoooo to you!

Anonymous said...

What a comeback, hee hee, with Armani :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Wendy. Absolutely, I'm going got try to recreate the whole look. I think it's gorgeous!

Charlestongirl said...

Alicia, I don't think so. I am not totally familiar with the Sephora store, though. So you might want to call them and ask if the product is on display.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, everyone. Snowing to "beat the band" here! Yuk!

solanace said...

Happy to have you back!

Anonymous said...

WELCOME BACK! I have been checking the blog daily to see your comments and to see if you would be back soon.

I'm so sorry to hear about all the troubles that your mom has had with the power company--I hope it all sorts out quickly and in the right.

Unknown said...

Hi CG. I'm so glad that you are back. I have missed reading your posts.
Sorry about your electrical fiasco. What a pain in the neck. I'm glad that you posted about it, however, since it is a nice little reminder that all sorts of these man-made disasters happen, and we should be a bit prepared (e.g., back up data, buy flash lights, have blankets, etc.). Hope that you and your mom are able to recover quickly w/o too much trouble from the electric company.

Melanie said...

Happy New Year! So glad to get a blog-update e-mail from you! Your poor mother! Does the fun never end for you two?

Lovely collection, that Armani one. I have been deliberating over making my first By Terry Ombre Blackstar purchase and have not known where to turn! Welcome back!

Unknown said...

Welcome back CG. You've been sorely missed. You could write a book on your mother's mishaps and adventures. Life does choose to get interesting at times.

I look forward to your swatches and your reactions to your new Armani items. I really want to see the highlighter and the Fluid Sheer in person.

Moonchime said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom's power surge. How terrible that she had to sleep through a night without heat.

It's wonderful to have you back. Your blog is my absolute favorite!

Anonymous said...

You sure seem to have had your fair share of bad luck. Let's hope it's over now. Since it is quite clear that the power company is responsible for destroying your mothers electrical item, I trust they will be sending a check to her. I don't see how they can come in, cause such damage and then claim not to have any responsibility. I hope life has been better to you, besides the known electrical problem, and that you've gotten some peace and rest. Kiss to Charlie, thank goodness for him!

Meredith said...

Sorry, I clicked before I wrote my name. Meredith

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear of all the power troubles at your Mom's house. I do hope all is safe and warm now. This post of Armani goodies is simply enticing. I love all things Armani.
Having said that, these are definitely on my "to buy" list. This Collection is beautiful!
Thanks for the post. Take care!

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled you're back and with such a beautiful Armani post. The image is dreamy and captivating. How cute that Charlie is on your lap staying warm and sorry to hear about the electricity issue. Stay warm.
Tanja

Adam & Susan said...

YAY!!! you're back! now all is right in the universe. :) glad your mom has you nearby to help her. hope things settle down for you two after such an "exciting" start to 2014. That Armani highlighter is gorgeous! With that beautiful design, I wouldn't think of touching it! ..for the makeup museum then? :) So glad to see you back, Susan

LoveSugarBabyDoll said...

Ahhh Old Dominion. LOL.
So glad not even they could keep you from us. Stay warm, I hear you are getting lots of snow.

This collection looks like one to recreate in its entirety. I love it. So sophisticated. I am so looking forward to your swatches and review!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. It was so nice to read a new post from you. So sorry to hear about new trouble, like you haven't had enough. Good luck with everything!
It was really a happy moment to see you in my mailbox again.

All the best
Gerda

Jenni said...

honestly i feel underwhelmed by their release - the highlighting powder. However the fluid sheer in #13 is gorgeous - it came out white-ish from the pump but transform to pearly beige/champagne!! It's a thinner version of benefit girl meets pearl i think!

btw glad to see you back on here!

Jo said...

Hi CG,

So glad you're back. It's just one stressor after the other for you isn't it. I think you need a massage. This Armani collection isn't doing much for me (maybe I'll feel differently after I see it is person), but I just bought two of the new Tom Ford lipsticks and one of the new nail polishes from the Nordstrom website. Can't wait to get them! Chantecaille has their new Spring collection available on their website too. Those are the two collections I've been waiting for.

InezHansen said...

Thought I'd check my computer today to see if you were back...wow seeing your post really made my day! Though I must admit I've been in the warm Florida Keys and have taken a break from everything! So glad to read you again! Welcome back. Inez

Little Red said...

Sorry to hear about the mess caused by Dominion Virginia Power. I hope they do the right thing and reimburse her for her damaged appliances.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to see your thoughts and swatches. I bought the pink and plum lipstick and gloss and while I haven't yet opened the lipstick, the glosses are not at all what I expected. I hope the look more lively on than in the tube. Lovely new matte black cap and logo on the gloss however.

citygirl said...

I am a newbie to leaving comments here but have to tell you that I have come to rely on your insights and impressions regarding new ( and not so new) makeup and tools. I honestly will not buy something without checking to see what you and Temptalia have to say first and have not been steered wrong-Thank You! I just ordered the effeto nudo #314 sheer lip color from website because I am just not sure it will hang around for long once everyone sees the collection...will let you know how it goes. Unlike you I am a light olive, brown eyed brunette but still feel comfortable with your comments and how products might translate to my coloring. Lately, I have been steering away from the brighter lip colors and feeling very comfortable with neutrals and nudes ( thanks to Tom Ford's Indian Rose and Casablanca) Thanks again for this great site and, BTW, just bought Tom Ford blush and bronzer brushes-OMG! Hope all continues to go well with repairs to your mom's home.