Monday, February 27, 2012

The Academy Awards: My Fashion and Beauty Award Winners

Everyone had a list today. Why can't I? Because I don't have time to feature every woman (and man) whose looks were pretty and polished, I decided to limit my choices to the top six (well, seven if you add Angelina). These women - all women - earned my Fashion and Beauty Award for their total look at the Academy Awards yesterday. I wish I had a little medallion to send each of them. Here they are in no particular order, however...

I felt sorry for Angelina Jolie. She looked drop-dead gorgeous in her black Atelier Versace gown with a thigh-high slit to "there" and killer red lipstick. Every time she posed, she adoped a stance that drew attention to her sexy leg. It struck me as a bit pretentious. I even wondered if Donatella had paid her to show a "little leg" or spotlight the slit. Regardless, no one deserved the mockery she suffered at the leg and hips of Jim Rash, who immediately mocked her awkward pose while accepting the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar for "The Descendants." I read that she was near tears when she left the stage. Shame on him! For that reason, the woman who always stuns heads up this feature.

Penelope Cruz
She looked like a princess in her off-the-shoulder, blue Armani Privé gown with a wrapped bodice and floating, full skirt with a train. She accessorized the gown with a matching clutch and platinum and diamond jewelry by Chopard that included a 56K pear-shaped necklace, 15K cluster earrings, and a 43K fancy bracelet. Her hair was perfect for her gown. Exquisite!

Sandra Bullock
Her black and white crepe Marchesa gown with gold detailing was stunning, coming and going. The draped back was gorgeous. Her sleek ponytail ensured that our attention would be directed at her beautiful back.

Jessica Chastain
I thought her black and gold ornamental Alexander McQueen gown was exquisite. She accessorized it with amazing yellow diamonds ($2M from Harry Winston) and her flowing, wavy red hair. With all that flash, she kept her makeup simple, a great choice.

Stacy Keibler
A statuesque golden beauty on George Clooney's arm, Stacy Keibler nailed her metallic look. Her gold lame off-the-shoulder Marchesa gown was accented by side-swept blond waves. I loved her look - the best I've ever seen on Keibler. I know some thought she looked like an Oscar. I loved her look.

Tina Fey
Her most...beautiful...look...ever. The midnight blue Carolina Hererra strapless peplum gown was figure-flattering and elegant. She carried a black satin tube clutch by Roger Vivier and wore blue Bulgari jewels. They looked like sapphires and emeralds to me. Wow!

Georgina Chapman
Wearing an elegant white Marchesa, accented with crystals and/or silver, Chapman's makeup was applied by our favorite Mikey Castillo, Director of Makeup at Le Métier de Beauté. Mikey applied the Spring Collection, using the Northern Lights Eye and Lip Kaleidoscopes (with a lot of Precision Eyeliner in Noir!). Erin Lockard (one of my favorite makeup artists ever) assisted and applied a full set of individual lashes on top and bottom, for a fanned-out appearance. Chapman's severe hair style put the focus on her eyes. Mikey and Erin ensured that they were fabulous.

So many women were stunning. Among them? Cameron Diaz (always pretty), Gwyneth Paltrow (that Tom Ford look was amazing), Milla Jovovich, and Natalie Portman. I could have easily expanded my list to 10 women.

Those who could have looked better...Meryl Streep, one of the best actors who has ever walked the earth, looked horrible in that gold gown. Jennifer Lopez should have taken care to prevent a wardrobe malfunction and keep the show GP. Melissa Leo's two-toned gown was horrendous.

Photos courtesy of Getty Images and Internet sources

19 comments:

Carrie Meredith said...

Jessica Chastain's gown was an exercise in Byzantine excess, she was stunning from head to toe. The only thing that bugged me about Angelina was the shininess on her forehead. I wanted to pass her a pack of oil blotting papers right through the tv. As far as I'm concerned, if anyone should be allowed to make sexy poses whenever and however she wants, it should be her.

BooBooNinja said...

I thought Jessica Chastain glowed. From makeup to hair to her joyful exuberance, she took top spot for me. I didn't watch the show last night. How well did the dress move?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Carrie!

I see that Jessica Chastain made most of the best dressed lists. Well deserved!

Angelina was shiny, but it didn't concern me at all. I was looking at her leg. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Not much, BooBoo. With that embroidery, it was very structured.

Eileen said...

I felt so sorry for Angelina. She has looked nothing short of anorexic at the past few awards shows and the Academy Awards was no different. Her beautiful face, luscious curves, powerful sexuality have withered. She is looking more Skeletor than seductress and the rediculous pose she assumed before beginning her presentation was an embarrassment. Even the audience seemed I'll at ease by a calculated move that, rather than enhance her sexuality, pointed up how gaunt she has become. That she was publically mocked in front of millions of viewers was inexcusably rude and hurtful, but hopefully those who are close to her will take note that she is far from the stunningly beautiful siren she used to be and see that there is an intervention.

Little Red said...

Well, I'll admit I laughed when Jim Rash struck his pose. She looked ridiculous when she struck her leg out on the red carpet and then on stage when presenting.

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, I'm wondering if motherhood has run her ragged. Between a desire to "eat healthy" and the ongoing needs of all those children, she probably burns off any calories she does have time to eat. I know she has help, but she seems so invested in being a hands-on mom.

Anyhow, I thought her look that evening was old-school glamorous. She rewrote the book on black. :)

bisbee said...

I actually thought Meryl Streep looked better than usual - I didn't love the dress, but it wasn't that bad. On the other hand, I thought it was mean of that guy to mock Angelina, but I also thought her antics were ridiculous - she embarrassed herself more than that guy did!

Evelyn said...

I think Angelina had been asked by the designer to draw attention to the slit, but it seems she went a little overboard. I'm sure a natural pose would have worked well with that lovely dress. I was disappointed in Meryl Streep's dress, it looked like she put on the palace drapes and came out. Oh well!

Ame said...

Near tears? Why? Because she was called out for behaving like a lunatic? I felt ZERO sympathy for Angelina after she was mocked. She was behaving like a self-absorbed, stuck up little child all night. She's there to SUPPORT her boyfriend who is a nominee, and all she did all night was do all she could to upstage him, I will golf clap better than him, I will look more engaged and proud to be an actor to him, I will flash half of the world my vajayjay and my entire leg as often as I can! She brought that mockery on herself, and I don't feel any sympathy for a pretentious and fake multi-millionaire.

Anonymous said...

Mikey and Erin did a really great job on Georgina. Do you have a full breakdown of the products? I want to use everything! Karen

Swathi Narumanchi said...

About Angelina and other women celebrities/girls -

As if being in the public eye, being shredded to pieces by everyone who thinks they have a right to mock/abuse/bully celebrities isn't enough, she also has to deal with the career she has chosen to be in and the people around her.

Instead of women standing by her side and saying - 'yes, I understand the want to look/feel sexy/beautiful' - a lot of people feel they can just hate her and take a dig. Have you never ever felt in your life to look sexy and feel sexy.

I ask you - what have you done to make a comment on someone whose success and popularity has helped causes and upliftment of children and women. Shame on all of you who do this.

Beauty is NOT only about looks alone - yes, maybe she has become worryingly thin - but what do you know of her pressures and battles everyday ? She and a million other girls go through the same thing, only difference is that she is in the public eye. A free for all to bully.

What if it was your daughter/sister up there? What would you say ?

CG - I am sorry for my outburst, but this attitude of people to say hurtful stuff about celebrities and girls on news is so wrong.

mkdallas said...

I totally agree with your assessments of Jessica Chastain, Penelope Cruz and Angelina Jolie; an A+ to all of them. On the subject of Angelina, I was disheartened that she was made fun of. She seemed in a particularly lighthearted, flirtacious mood that night. I wonder if all the nastiness directed her way was partially because she is usually a much more serious person involved with international charities and the public has grown used to seeing her in a different light. Regardless, her leg display was nowhere near as vulgar as some of the self-absorbed "aren't I hot?" twitter indulged in by Cameron Diaz and Jennifer Lopez when they were presenting. The sad part is that Angelina Jolie will probably return to a much more muted persona and wardrobe based on the backlash. I'm sorry that people ruined her lovely evening and outfit with bad behavior.

lovethescents said...

I didn't watch the show so am grateful you posted some pics. I can't be bothered finding all the pics online as I spend too much time of the fumie blogs as it is :-) Thank you for posting these so at least I have a clue :-)

I ADORE Penelope Cruz. She's always so stunning.

Jo said...

How could you do a best dressed list and not include Michelle Williams? She was perfect. From the bow brooch to the pink purse, it was perfect. I think Angelina seemed a little nervous.

Fab Over 40 said...

When I first saw Angelina do that with her leg, I thought maybe there was an inside bet about something she had with Brad - some secret code or something. I loved her hair and makeup, but I felt that dress was just too much for her withering frame. The heavy velvet, the architectural gathers at the bust and waist and the yards and yards of fabric were just too heavy on her tiny body. Maybe that's why she made such an exaggeration of her leg sticking out - it had to go way out in order to get beyond the yards of fabric.
I thought Penelope was stunning in every way.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Jo,

Sorry to say, I didn't like Michelle Williams' total look. While the press adores her, her pixie look doesn't work for me. The dress was pretty.

Jo said...

OK, we'll just have to agree to disagree! Thanks for a great blog. Can't wait to see what you review tomorrow!

LoveSugarBabyDoll said...

Hey Jo-I loved Michelle's look too. :) And I LOVE the color of Penelope's dress. I was "eh?" about Cameron's red carpet look- but loved her after party bright red/orange Vicotria Beckham gown. I thought the first gown washed her out and the second gown brought her back to her radiance. So many gorgeous ladies and so many gorgeous gowns!

Angelina - as always- was impeccable- make up, jewelry, LOVED the dress...And she was posing all night long. Maybe it was a bet, maybe Donatella asked her to stand that way for photos, maybe her panties were bunched up and she was trying to unbunch them without grabbing the back of her dress (you are supposed to giggle). All the ladies, and gents, pose on the carpet.

I must admit I laughed when Jim struck his pose- I think he was teasing. If Billy Crystal had done the same thing, we'd all be giggling. We have all said and done things in jest and not realized we were hurting someone's feelings. I know how horrible I feel when this happens. I doubt he would intentionally try to hurt her. He had just won an Oscar- people do and say all sorts of things- remember Melissa Leo last year? I doubt she would drop the f bomb again if she had a do over and I doubt Jim would tease Angelina again. I hope all the tears have dried and the apologies have been accepted.