Monday, November 1, 2010

Laura Mercier Colour Wardrobe for Holiday 2010

Each year, Laura Mercier introduces fabulous gift sets for the holidays. Last year, I splurged on Laura Mercier sets. They are great values. Because I still haven't made a dent in the sets I purchased last year, despite my makeup addiction, I vowed not to go overboard this year.

When Loyd Cassler and I were shopping the department during the Saks Friends & Family sale, he told me the Laura Mercier sets were fabulous. I checked them out as we walked by the Laura counter, and I kept going on the first day of my three-day shopping spree. I was able to resist the fabulous Mini Lip Glacé Set (so enticing!), the Eye Colour Sampler, and the Petite Eye Palettes in warm and cool - all very nice. I was cruising. On the second day, I "discovered" the Colour Wardrobe ($98), and all my willpower melted in an instant (think blowtorch vs ice cream cone). I had to have it. I didn't even play with the tester. I could see that Colour Wardrobe was filled with colors I would love, and love it is!

Laura Mercier's Colour Wardrobe lets you "have it all" with this carefully selected palette of Laura’s great color choices. The two-tiered compact holds six Eye Colours, three Cheek Colours, six Lip Stains, and two finishing Lip Glazes, along with a two dual-ended brushes.

The top level of the palette contains Chocolate, Sable, Twinkling Star, Stellar, Tiger’s Eye, and Baroque Eye Colours; Spice, Apricot Blossom and Lotus Cheek Colours; and a Double-Ended Eye Colour and Corner Eye Colour Brush. There's a nice full-sized mirror too.

The bottom level of the palettecontains Mulberry, Hibiscus, Shy Pink, English Rose, Brick Red, and Mocha Lip Stains; Plum and Naked Lip Glazes; and a Double-Ended Lip Brush. A mini-magnifying mirror was thoughtfully provided for this level too.

Yesterday, I had planned to get swatch photos during the day, but managed to forget until the afternoon sun was fading. I ran outside and swatched quickly, grabbing the best little sunny spots I could find (cat lovers, think cat finding the sun streaming in the window and carefully selecting a spot for a nap, then moving with the sun). I did take a few photos of the palette, and I've included them here - despite the fact that the Laura Mercier photo at the top of this feature is so much better.

I swatched all but one eye shadow shade. My arm photo at left (yes, still battered from who-knows-what and clearing the wilderness) shows Chocolate, Sable, Twinkling Star, Tiger's Eye, and Baroque from top to bottom. Stellar, while stellar as an eye shadow base shade, wouldn't show up on my arm, so I didn't try. I applied each shade with a sponge-tipped applicator. I started swatching with a brush, but the colors are very sheer. They weren't showing up well, and I had to move quickly. Sheer is good anyhow. With buildable coverage, you can select your holiday drama level. I usually go for subtle, and these neutrals will fit very nicely into my lifestyle.

I got three thin stripes of the Cheek Colours. From top to bottom on my arm at right, I swatched Spice, Apricot Blossom, and Lotus. Spice is not my color. Sometimes I think Laura Mercier selects shades she loves, with her beautiful Mediterranean complexion. Spice would be gorgeous on her. I can wear Apricot Blossom and Lotus. Both are sheer, offering buildable coverage like the eye shadows. They are very pretty on my cheeks. With a palette this size, there will always be a shade or two you won't want to wear; I expect that.

I was seriously running out of sun spots as I swatched the Lip Glazes and Lip Stains. Nevertheless, you should be able to see how pretty the shades are. My arm at left shows, top to bottom, Plum Lip Glaze, Naked Lip Glaze, Mulberry Lip Stain, and Hibiscus Lip Stain - all gorgeous. The Lip Glaze shades, as you can see in the palette photos, are generously provided in larger sizes in the pan.

The last photo (I was rushing as my sun slipped behind the holly trees) shows Shy Pink, English Rose, Brick Red, and Mocha Lip Stains, top to bottom. I can't explain the difference in my arm shade; some things escape me.

What didn't escape me is how pretty this palette is! It includes only one shade I will never wear (Spice), but offers a range of colors that I (and most of you) will be able to wear. That's amazing - and it makes the Colour Wardrobe a buy!

Check it out at any Laura Mercier counter or at Laura Mercier's Web site, where you will find the rest of the attractive holiday "gift sets." Seriously (as my 20-something friends say), who's going to give these away?

Photo at top courtesy of Laura Mercier

4 comments:

faye lu said...

what a pretty pallet and such great value for so many colors. great post. thanks for sharing

Charlestongirl said...

Hi there, Faye Lu! Thank you.

This is a pretty set, and if that's your photo, it's going to be gorgeous on you! I'll bet you can even wear Spice.

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

How do you decide what to wear each day! You have so many amazing products. This looks beautiful.

Charlestongirl said...

I wear whatever I like that's close at hand. I have way too much makeup, I know, but I love to rotate it.